comScore, in collaboration with Facebook, has released its second research report that examines ways in which brands can quantify and optimize their social marketing programs on Facebook, a channel that now accounts for one in every seven minutes spent online. Key insights from The Power of Like 2: How Social Marketing Worksinclude:
- Brands can maximize social marketing programs by leveraging a framework to move beyond fan acquisition to delivering reach, impact and measurable marketing ROI
- Using the Brand Page as a control panel, brands should focus on benchmarking and optimizing against broader marketing objectives:
- Fan Reach—exposure in the news feed
- Engagement—fans interacting with brand page marketing content
- Amplification—viral delivery of marketing content from fans to friends of fans
- Facebook’s unique marketing channel enables Paid, Earned and Owned Media to be leveraged in a cycle of brand impact as these communications can be supplemented through Sponsored Stories and Promoted Page Posts.
In its first research report, The Power of Like: How Brands Reach and Influence Fans through Social Media Marketing, comScore found that friends of fans represent a much larger set of consumers than a brand’s fans—81 times larger, on average. The link to this extended network occurs when fans engage with a brand’s messages, thereby sharing the message with their friends.